I posted this in our local Opinion Section of the Idaho Press Tribune today:
Give Patraeus credit for his honesty
- Wait a minute. If everyone in a position of power resigned because they admitted to or have been accused of an affair? No President Eisenhower, FDR, Jack Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, Bill Clinton. In fact, check this list of those accused of scandals:
- Robert Decheine, chief of staff to Rep.
- Steve Rothman
- Herman Cain, political candidate for the presidency, sexual harassment.
- David WU, unwanted sexual advances.
- Anthony Weiner, photos of his … you know what.
- Chris Lee: another photo buff.
- Eric Massa: groping male staffers.
- Tom Ganley: sexual imposition. And that’s just this year!
The general did a wrong thing, and he stood up and said, “I did it. I take full responsibility for it. Let me resign because of it.” How many other philanderers out there would do the same? Thank you, general, for your honesty, if not integrity. n John Belville, Nampa