Mitt Romney: Obama Won With 'Gifts' To Blacks, Hispanics, Young Voters OH BOY! CAN'T LET THIS ONE LIE.
WASHINGTON — Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is telling top donors that President Barack Obama won re-election because of the "gifts" he had already provided to blacks, Hispanics and young voters and because of the president's effort to paint Romney as anti-immigrant.
"The president's campaign, if you will, focused on giving targeted groups a big gift," Romney said in a call to donors on Wednesday. "He made a big effort on small things."
Romney said his campaign, in contrast, had been about "big issues for the whole country." He said he faced problems as a candidate because he was "getting beat up" by the Obama campaign and that the debates allowed him to come back.
In the call, Romney didn't acknowledge any major missteps, such as his "47 percent" remarks widely viewed as denigrating nearly half of Americans, his lack of support for the auto bailout, his call for undocumented immigrants to "self-deport," or his change in position on abortion, gun control and other issues. He also didn't address the success or failure of the campaign's strategy of focusing on the economy in the face of some improvement in employment and economic growth during the months leading up to Election Day.
Obama won the popular vote by about 3.5 million votes, or 3 percent, and won the Electoral College by a wide margin, 332-206 electoral votes. Exit polls conducted for The Associated Press and television networks showed that Obama led Romney by 11 percentage points among women and won better than 7 of 10 Hispanic voters and more than 9 of 10 black voters.
Romney called his loss to Obama a disappointing result that he and his team had not expected, but he said he believed his team had run a superb campaign. He said he was trying to turn his thoughts to the future, "but, frankly, we're still so troubled by the past, it's hard to put together our plans for the future."
Romney's finance team organized the call to donors. The Los Angeles Times first reported Romney's remarks.
Among the "gifts" Romney cited were free health care "in perpetuity," which he said was highly motivational to black and Hispanic voters as well as for voters making $25,000 to $35,000 a year.
Romney also said the administration's promise to offer what he called "amnesty" to the children of undocumented immigrants – what he termed "the so-called DREAM Act kids" – helped send Hispanics to the polls for Obama.
Young voters, Romney said, were motivated by the administration's plan for partial forgiveness of college loan interest and being able to remain on their parents' health insurance plans. Young women had an additional incentive to vote for Obama because of free contraception coverage under the president's health care plan, he said.
"I'm very sorry that we didn't win," he told donors. "I know that you expected to win. We expected to win. We were disappointed; we hadn't anticipated it."
Romney said he and his team were discussing how his donor group could remain connected and have an influence on the direction of the Republican Party and even the selection of a future nominee – "which, by the way, will not be me."
Some replies to this idiot:
- Me: Sore losers. Come on Mitt. You lost because you and your team thought that America was still relegated to the 1950s. Your team just didn't do their arithmetic. They listened to Faux News and thought they were telling the truth. They listened to Carl Rove who needs to get completely out of politics as you should too. Stop whining and admit you lost because you ran a stupid campaign. When you said 47% of us were all wanting handouts from the Fed, you lost it...no, actually, you lost it when you picked Paul Ryan as a running mate...Sarah Palin ring a bell? Mitt, you are a salesman, not a politician. You have no aptitude for the game...so get out of it...COMPLETELY.
- I am grateful to Romney for reminding me about the gifts I've received. I truly do owe President Obama a thank you note! Romney is right! I've voted for Obama, because he's given us so many gifts! The gift of his leadership...the gift of healthcare for all...the gift of wall street reform...the gift of helping to save the auto industry...the gift of ending the war in Iraq and eliminating Bin Laden...the gift of repealing DADT ...(and I could go on to list many *more* gifts ...) I am ever grateful to President Barack Obama for all that he has given our country!
- What's especially disturbing about this is that Romney views granting rights to people, such as giving them a right to remain in this country (actually a right just to not be deported), a right to have basic health care, and other civil rights such as Obama wants to extend to gays, as "gifts" which people really don't deserve. This once again says more about what his way to govern would have been had it done been for the fortunate fact that most people knew who he really was all along - not the pragmatic business person who likes "fixing things" as he pretended but the cold and ruthless profiteer who only wants to further insulate the bubble he and his other rich friends inhabit.
- Romney was born to upper class white family, he went to private schools, access to tutors and had housekeepers and other "help" his entire childhood. he was given more "gifts" by the time he was out of diapers, than most poor people have their whole lives. food stamps and medicaid are not gifts, they are the govenment promoting for the common good by providing basic necessities to the less fortunate. mitt romney is ignorant, hes an elitist, and the term 'out of touch' is an understatement. good riddance. what an embarrassment of a human being.
- It's sad that Mitt and GOP continue to beat this 'handouts' and 'gifts' mantra. Millionaires benefit immensely from government support and interventions. This perception that those with money have money because they are hardworkers and those without money just don't work hard and always want handouts is extremely offensive. The level and kind of support may differ per income level, but EVERYONE benefits from government support. A government IS supposed to facilitate the growth and prosperity of the people, including low income earners. Government IS supposed to facilitate access to basic needs, such as education, healthcare, infrastructure, transport, etc. When people have the means, they will spend, which means additional growth. What about all the tax gifts millionnaires receive? The saddest part about all this is Mitt may actually believe what he is saying. That would truly be disappointing if he thinks all he has is because he worked hard and didn't get help along the way. It would be disappointing if he truly believes universal healthcare is a handout. The people who truly complain are the businesses whose fat profits will just be a little less because of the responsibilities they need to uphold for employees who drive the business. They need to stop that line of thinking. No one wants to be made to feel like they don't work hard, or that they are leechers. What is in your bank account or how much you earn is NEVER a determinant of your hard work, effort or integrity.
- The statement on the secret video is what shot you down Romney. To say
that black people, Hispanics and old or poor are 47% extra baggage. Man I
waiting for the day when you are old, or sick. Every body is entitled
to having an opinion. And I am over the 60 crowd, a disabled Veteran and
you are talking about sending big bird to a retirement home, not to
mention NPR to it's demise. The significant issues about Terrorism
coming to the States, or nuclear war proliferation Mitney hasn't a
clue. Obama won by a narrow margin, such as many Politicians like
because they suck your money dry for campaign spending. I would like to
see full disclosure of both Parties. Regardless of your opinion about
your party or hers, think about how many millionaires are PO'd at their
bets. Romney was not the clear choice.
There is so much rhetoric still lingering with threats of closures and cut backs of employees,
which for me, sounds like a secondary blast of waa waa I want it my way, else I will quit and go play with someone else. Romney, what would you do if you were black or hispanic or old and sick? GREED or threat to American Workers, what shall it be? To me, I feel for the poor the sick, and the cold homeless New Yorkers and Veterans. What do you feel about that?